tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 28 11:50:42 1997

Re: [proposal] translation for directions.

ja' "Anthony.Appleyard" <[email protected]>:
>  I saw a suggestion to translate N E S W as {He 0}, {He 90}, {He 180}, {He
>270}. But a lot of times we would need "north" etc as a noun "the region to
>the north of", like with {Dung} and {bIng} etc.

First, {He 000} *is* a noun.  It's course #000.

Second, I am usually wary of statements like "a lot of times we would need"
and "I can imagine a situation where".  Can you give a real example of what
you are talking about?  I'm not sure what your quoted phrase is supposed to
mean.  Are you thinking of something like "Tazmania is in Australia's south"?

>  ###### If P.Lavoie's email address contains "Ottawa" and ".ca", how come she
>is so obviously in the southern hemisphere!?

I don't see anything obvious about it.  If a particular star were to be
identifed as "the high star" I'd expect it to be a circumpolar one, and
circumpolar stars are to the north only in the northern hemisphere.  As
I am a native of Earth's northern hemisphere myself, I expect that this
was intended to refer to Polaris, that star which is aligned well with
the Earth's axis and thus does not appear to move as the Earth rotates.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level