tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 27 21:46:11 1997

Re: batleth (sp?)

On Thu, 27 Nov 1997 [email protected] wrote:
|I am a beginner at tlhIngan Hol and even I know betleH is a hand weapon
|and not the "sword of honor" known as a batlh'etlh.

I think you're confusing the bat'leth - the longer, two-handed crescent
shaped sword (betleH in 24th century Klingon, derived ultimately from
Kahless' original "batlh 'etlh") - with the mek'leth (meqleH): the shorter,
one-handed weapon with the curved blade Worf favors lately. We last saw a
mek'leth in last week's Deep Space Nine episode "Resurrection" when mirror
Bareil used it to cut up the desert during a dinner party in Worf &
Jadzia's quarters.

To further confuse things, we learn of a third weapon of this type on page
64 of "Klingon for the Galactic Traveller":

"There exists a weapon that might be described as a cross between an ax and
a bat'leth. The {'aqleh} has what looks like half a bat'leth at the end of
a handle."

I'm not sure what this is unless Okrand was thinking of the bladed weapon
sometimes used by the Jem'Hadar.  I believe Worf was training Alexander to
counter this weapon aboard the Rotarran in the recent "Sons and Daughters."
Worf gave the Jem'Hadar name, but I didn't make a note of it.

Voragh

Back to archive top level