tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 27 16:30:42 1997

Re: fractions ?

At 15:30 97-11-27 -0800, QetlhIS wrote:

}Von: David Trimboli <[email protected]>
}
}>You wouldn't describe distances by saying "American kilometers," would you?
}>In the US we still use miles, etc. (and it doesn't seem likely to change
}>anytime soon).  You either talk of kilometers or miles.  One term cannot
}>replace another.
}
}Not in the US, true. But other countries, which don't usually use miles,
}might as well use "American miles" to differ american miles from sea
}miles, and all the other versions of "miles" which there are. Take Germany
}as an example.

I would say "Russian poods" or "Peruvian llamalengths" to clarify a foreign
unit of measurement I was using in English, though.  So a Klingon speaking
of Earth might say {cha' tera'ngan *kilometre*mey} or {loSmaH Americangan
*gallon*mey}, while we said "three Klingon kellicams."

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level