tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 27 16:30:40 1997

Re: KLBQov: Qu'vatlh :)

At 15:17 97-11-27 -0800, QetlhIS wrote about his, um, dream:

}bochpa'be' boch ngemDaq jIyItpu'.

The suffix {-be'} can't follow a type-9 verb suffix.  I can't figure out
what you're going for .. something like:

"Not before it is shiny it shines I will have walked in the forest." ???

There shouldn't be anything before {ngemDaq } in that clause by timestamps
or adverbs.

Perhaps: {qaSpa' jajlo' ngemDaq jIyItpu'}
"I will have walked in the forest before dawn."

}pay' muvulmoHbogh vay' muqIppu'bogh.

This sentence has two relative clauses and no verb.

"Suddenly something that made me faint ... which had hit me."

Maybe: {pay' muvulmoHbogh vay' vItlhoj}
"Suddenly I realized something that that rendered me unconscious."

}jInajpu'. Qov porgh je jIb vIleghpu'.

{Qov porgh jIb je} the conjunction follows the nouns it joins.

}Dun net jay'.

"That was frigging wonderful" ?

The pronoun {net} has use only, and that is in sentence as object
construction when the second sentence has an indefinite subject (TKD 6.2.5).
It is not a generic word for "that."

{Dun jay'} "It/they was/were frigging wonderful" would suffice, or you could
use a pronoun or a noun to make it clearer.

}DaH taHbe' lut.

maj.  pab neH vIqelba'. :P

}nI' poH vInajbogh. {{:p

You're aiming for "The time that I dreamed was long" i.e. "It was a long
dream," right?  If {naj} takes an object it probably isn't the time that you
dreamed.

{nI'taHvIS poH jInaj} - I dreamed during a long time.

}jIHDaq vIbejpu' tengchaH Hut.

On me I had watched it/him/her ... deep space nine.

Watch sentence order.  Object-Verb-Subject

Maybe: {juHwIjDaq tengchaH Hut much vIbej}
"At my home I watched the show Deep Space Nine."

}'u' cha'DIchDaq QIra' vIleghpu'. Qeypu' yopwaH.

You're definitely using perfective to do something it doesn't do.  Unless
you really want to say that the action of a verb has happened, wil have
happened or had happened before the action of the time under consideration,
don't put on an aspect suffix.

'u' cha'DIchDaq QIra' vIlegh. Qey yopwaH
"I saw Kira in a second universe.  The shirt was tight."

You might want {yopwaHDaj} - her shirt.

}Qaja' ram'a' jay'.

Qaja' - ??

"Was <something> damned trivial?"

nuq vIjatlh?  qanajmoHchugh vaj yItIv.

Seqram, jIHvaD BG DajeSmoH choghuHmoHbe'. jIHmo' najchoHDI' ghojwI'pu' nuq
'oS ghu'?

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level