tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 26 21:40:49 1997

Re: fractions ?

Philippe Lavoie wrote:
|Thanks. Would writing 0.75 be ok?
|After all, in English we only write number for one and two and we
|usually write the decimal version for numbers above.

Okrand also had a problem using decimals for fractions Star Trek V. In the
script, Captain Klaa had to tell his helmsman, "Slow to one quarter impulse
power!"  Since he hadn't come up with words for fractions, he decided to
use percentages instead:

	cha'maH vagh vatlhvI' Hong QIt yIghoS!
	(lit. "25 percent impulse power - proceed slowly!")

You'll notice that the Klingon doesn't translate the English subtitle
exactly (which is common in the movies), thus he avoided having to deal
with "slow down".

Voragh

Back to archive top level