tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 26 14:20:36 1997

Re: [proposal] translation for directions.

Robyn Stewart writes:

 > Hi Philippe, I'm known here as Qov and I'm the Beginners' Grammarian,
 > here to help newcomers turn enthusiasm and a shiny new Klingon
 > Dictionary into good tlhIngan Hol, a very battered copy
 > of TKD, and even more enthusiasm.

This is a noble cause. I hope I won't be too much of a problem for
you. Sometimes, deadlines make me go faster than I should.

 > I understand that right now you are trying to form some expressions
 > for a D&D game and that's fine.  You'll have an easier time learning
 > Klingon though, if you look at what Klingon *has* and work with that,
 > rather than trying to translate concepts it doesn't have.

The problem is that Klingon (as we know it) is based on a highly
technological society. And some the basic words which are used to describe
low technology realities are ommited. In my case, the cardinal system.

This is not bad, it's just that I need it for my campaign.

 > anyone the idea that they are the proper Klingon expressions, or that
 > they have been 'approved' by the KLI or anyone else.

I won't even tell them its Klingon. Of course if they're smart enough
they might recognise a kapla here and there ;)

 > Neither have these below; I just made them up.  Can you figure them
 > out?  If so, maybe a Klingon familiar with our planet could, too.
 >
 > jajlo' lurgh
 > ram choS lurgh
 > pem bIr Hov lurgh
 > peQ chem lurgh

I'll try to flex my translation muscles,

jaj -> day
lo' -> use
lur -> pupil (of eye)
gh  -> ?
ram -> night
choS -> twilight
pem -> daytime
bIr -> be cold
Hov -> star
peQ chem -> magnetic field

I'm running into major problems  :( The first is I can't
translate lurgh, the second is jajlo' and finally I can't make sense
of the words. Here is what I have so far.

jajlo' lurgh       ->
ram choS lurgh     -> night's twilight
pem bIr Hov lurgh  -> daytime's cold star
peQ chem lurgh     -> magnetic field

 > I hope this message doesn't come across as especially negative. I
 > feel like I keep saying "No, you can't do that."  If you need any
 > more information on the points of grammar that caused me to rearrange
 > your suggestions, or that would help you understand how my
 > suggestions work, please follow up and ask more questions.
 >
 > - Qov

I understood your comments. I am one of the few which doesn't mind
criticism. Actually I find it helps me a lot to improve my skills.
So don't worry about telling me 'NO', as long as you state why. I'll
learn a lot more that way anyway.

Thanks for your reply.

Phil

Back to archive top level