tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 23 20:29:58 1997

Re: -moH (was Re: peDtaH 'ej jIQuch)

ja' charghwI':
>...ghunchu'wI' is proposing that it is okay for the root verb to
>not have a subject...

Oops.  I *thought* you clearly understood my proposal, but apparently you
are still attributing to it parts of your own understanding of how {-moH}
works.

I'm attempting to interpret {-moH} as *not* affecting the transitivity of
the root verb.  What you call the "object of causality and subject of the
root verb" is considered the receiver/beneficiary of the causation in my
interpretation.

{yIQoy} "Hear it."
{jIHvaD yIQoymoH} "Cause-hear it for me."
{HIQoymoH} "Cause-hear me." (using an indirect-object prefix)

There's no simple English word that means "cause-hear", so we resort to
using an infinitive to translate it:  "Cause me to hear."  But I'm viewing
this as a multiple-step process, first going through a stage with {-vaD},
and then collapsing the indirect object into the verb prefix.

{quHDaj qawmoH} "It remembers his heritage."
{ghaHvaD quHDaj qawmoH} "It cause-remembers his heritage for him."

There *is* a simple English word meaning "cause-remember", so we can use
it to translate:  "It reminds his heritage for him."  We can rearrange it
to "It reminds for him his heritage."  We can also reword it a little and
say "It reminds him of his heritage."

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level