tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 20 22:31:58 1997

Re: KLBC: insulting

Anthony.Appleyard wrote:
>[email protected] wrote:
>> When I say to somebody {taHqeq} this is like saying "Idiot!" (I
>> won't translate the real meaning here). If I want to say "He is an
>> idiot" can I just go {taHqeq ghaH} ?

That's what I'd say, but for all we know Klingon has special grammar
for curses.  At some point you must make a decision about how wrong
you are willing to risk being.  No one here predicted using jIH as
the possessive for nouns of relative position (i.e. we must say {jIH
Dung} not {DungwIj} for "the area above me.") and I don't remember
ever hearing anyone doubt that possessive suffixes could be used on
such nouns.  I expect such traps to be everywhere, but I've decided I
can pull myself out of them if and when they are sprung.

>Some of the insults look strange if I treat them as the sum of their
>parts:- Qu'vatlh : {Qu' vatlh} = the 200th
>duty/quest/mission/task/chore Did this start as a complaint about
>overwork?

This exercise and analysis has been done several times, sometimes
with speculations about how the words became curses or how
they should be best be used.  I'm not going to actively discourage
it, because it helps you learn both the curses and the words they
appear to contain, but etymologically, the analysis is probably
meaningless.  Or do you suggest that {Qovpatlh} has something to do
with my status? :)  I don't want to hear anyone's speulations about
{taQbang}.

When we find groups of words that seem to be similar and have
similar meanings we unfortunately can't test our theories by
examining ancient Klingon writings.  We could ask Marc, but he'd just
smile and say "interesting, isn't it?"

Look up:
jat, jatlh, jach and ja'
ngem ngeng ngech
tlhutlh tlhuH tlhup tlhIch tlhuch

If it helps you learn and remember the vocabulary, I don't really
care what private conclusions you reach about them.

-Qov

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level