tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 30 16:25:04 1997

Re: KLBC: insulting

>Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 22:55:45 -0800 (PST)
>From: Qov <[email protected]>
>
>When we find groups of words that seem to be similar and have
>similar meanings we unfortunately can't test our theories by
>examining ancient Klingon writings.  We could ask Marc, but he'd just
>smile and say "interesting, isn't it?"
>
>Look up:
>jat, jatlh, jach and ja'
>ngem ngeng ngech
>tlhutlh tlhuH tlhup tlhIch tlhuch

Such things aren't completely unheard-of in, say, English, without
necessarily entailing etymological relationships.  They're called (I think)
phonaesthemes.  Consider:

glitter, glimmer, glint, glisten, glow, gleam...
sniffle, snot, snore, sniff (not snail, though)...

~mark

Back to archive top level