tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 19 23:06:53 1997

Re: KLBC: insulting

On 19 Nov 97 at 2:46, Anthony.Appleyard wrote:

>   Some of the insults look strange if I treat them as the sum of
>   their parts:- Qu'vatlh : {Qu' vatlh} = the 200th
>   duty/quest/mission/task/chore
>     Did this start as a complaint about overwork?

Could be, yes. Ask Maltz, he might know. ;-)

>   QI'yaH - N:military V:be_taken_away* ; - N:military N:duty_station

Someone who has been taken away from the military (for whatever
reason, behaps even by fate, destiny, your own actions or whatever)
has nothing to do anymore with what is most important to Klingons.
(?)

>   petaQ - PP:impv_pl/- V:be_weird

Doesn't sound to weird for the origins of an insult, does it?

> taHqeq - V:continue V:[practise|train|prepare]

Telling someone he's not good enough for something (that he needs to
continu practicing) can be a good insult. Perhaps this originated as
a saying from teacher to student/child (in whatever subject, probably
fighting of some sort)?

> yIntagh - N:life_support_system; - N:life N:lung
>     What is insulting about calling someone a "life-support system"?

Perhaps meaning someone who does not want to die, is afraid to
die and is clinging to life, trying to keep himself alive, because
of this? This is very un-Klingon of course...

>     Did this
> strange homophony arise from a retro-fit after the studio altered a
> speech?

This could be, but I suspect this need not be the case.

>   toDSaH - V:[save|rescue]
>   V:[be_present|care_about|be_concerned_about]
>     Ditto similarly.

Indeed: someone who desperately wants to be recued (so he does not
die) sort of falls in the same category as "lifesupport". If you are
about to die, you simply die like a Klingon. If you don't, you need
to be called names...

Qapla'
peSHIr

Jarno Peschier, computer science student, Utrecht University
   mailto:[email protected]    http://jarno.home.ml.org/
    'avwI' nejDI' narghta'bogh qama' reH 'avwI' Sambej

Back to archive top level