tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 16 23:28:00 1997

Re: plans

<< > Huch nge'bogh ghot Sovbe' Human 'ach Huch nge' 'Iv 'e' Sov Human.
 > > Paris doesn't know the one who took the money but Paris knows who took
 > > the money.
 >
 > Is there a difference in *meaning* between these two sentences?  I cannot
 > detect any,  >>

We may be beginning to see the real difference in Klingon grammar.  {Huch
nge'bogh ghot Sovbe' Human} follows the pattern set forth in TKD 6.2.3
"Relative Clauses."  {Huch nge' 'Iv 'e' Sovbe' Human} (repharased for
parallelism) follows the pattern set forth in TKD 6.2.5  "Sentences as
Objects" (the section I have been explaining).

Now, can you see the beauty of how Klingon grammar is different from English
and Chinese grammar, which each have only one pronunciation for the pronouns
which serve as questions and which also serve as relative pronouns.  Klingon
has two distinct forms of sentences.  What we perceive in English to be only
one pattern is in fact two patterns in Klingon.  They are not alike.  They do
not mean exactly the same thing.  Still, both patterns are legal.

Do not confuse Questions as Objects with Relative Clauses; they fall under
two different catgegories in TKD, Sections 6.2.5 and 6.2.3 respectively.

peHruS

Back to archive top level