tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 16 19:08:01 1997

Re: same verb for "to X" and "to cause someone to X"

SuStel wrote:

|meQtaHbogh qachDaq Suv qoH neH.
|Only a fool fights in a burning house.  (TKW p.111)
|
|This one uses {meQ} intransitively.  That is, the subject of {meQ} is the
|thing that is on fire.
|
|I seem to remember an instance in KGT, but I cannot locate it right now.

	to'waQ meQ vutwI'
	The cook burns the tendon.  (a bad thing! KGT p.191)

{meQ} here works just like {mIQ} "deep-fry" -- both transitive:

	to'waQ mIQ vutwI'
	The cook deep-fries the tendon. (a good thing! KGT p.191)

(This is in the section which alerts the prospective tourist to the dangers
of improper or just plain careless pronunciation.)

Voragh

Back to archive top level