tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 15 20:35:30 1997

Re: same verb for "to X" and "to cause someone to X"

-----Original Message-----
From: Anthony.Appleyard <[email protected]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email protected]>
Date: Saturday, November 15, 1997 8:08 AM
Subject: same verb for "to X" and "to cause someone to X"

>  Are there any Klingon verbs that can mean both "to X" and "to cause to
X"?

There are a few.  I don't remember all of them, but here are some canon
examples:

mev

bIjatlh 'e' yImev
Shut up!  ({mev} is transitive.) (TKD p.172)

not mev peghmey
Secrets never cease.  ({mev} is intransitive.} (PK: Secrecy Proverbs)

tagh

Qu' DataghDI' 'aqtu' mellota' je yIqaw.
 When you begin a mission, remember Aktuh and Mellota. ({tagh} is
transitive.} (TKW p.187)

taghbej mu'qaD veS.
Curse Warfare has definitely begun.  ({tagh} is intransitive.) (PK: final
dialogue)

There is another interesting flip-transitive dichotomy, but I don't remember
what it is right now.

Just because a few words can do this does NOT means that all verbs can.
That's what {-moH} is for.  If they could all do it, there would be no
reason whatsoever for {-moH} to exist.

>"If I burn" in Klingon (jImeQchugh), am I the stoker or the fuel?

{meQ} is another funny verb.  TKD merely says "burn."

Terrans enjoy eating burnt animals.
 Ha'DIbaHmey meQ Sop 'e' tIv tera'nganpu'
(Though it should be {lutIv}.  CK: restaurant dialogue)

Notice that {meQ} seems to be used as a verb meaning "be burned."

meQtaHbogh qachDaq Suv qoH neH.
Only a fool fights in a burning house.  (TKW p.111)

This one uses {meQ} intransitively.  That is, the subject of {meQ} is the
thing that is on fire.

I seem to remember an instance in KGT, but I cannot locate it right now.

SuStel
Stardate 97875.0

Back to archive top level