tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 15 19:42:40 1997

Re: same verb for "to X" and "to cause someone to X"

At 09:55 97-11-15 -0800, qoror wrote:
}ghItlh Anthony Appleyard
}>  Are there any Klingon verbs that can mean both "to X" and "to cause to
}X"?
}
}We have four of them that we know of at the moment.  Probably some more.

Exactly.  Because we have a way to show the difference between {vem} and
{vemmoH} we assume that {vem} can never mean {vemmoH}.

}mev
}not mev peghmey.  (PK)
}bIjatlh 'e' yImev!  [and numerous others with a different first verb] (PK)
}
}tagh
}taghbej mu'qaD veS.  (PK)
}Qu' DataghDI' 'aqtu' mellota' je tIqaw.  (TKW)
}
}choH
}HIv He yIchoHmoH!  (ST5, I think... I've never seen it, unfortunately.)
}ghopDu' choHpu' Qe'.  (KGT.  This was set as an example of translating
}idioms directly, but there was no indication that it was ungrammatical.)
}
}meQ
}meQtaHbogh juHDaq Suv qoH neH.  (TKW... I'm working from memory, it might
}be different from what I put down, but it definitely had meQtaHbogh in it.)
}Ha'DIbaH meQ [translated as "burnt animals"] (CK)
}to'waQ meQ vutwI' (KGT)

Thanks qoror, you've saved me looking those up.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level