tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 15 09:46:38 1997

same verb for "to X" and "to cause someone to X"

ghItlh Anthony Appleyard
>  Are there any Klingon verbs that can mean both "to X" and "to cause to
X"?
>"If I burn" in Klingon (jImeQchugh), am I the stoker or the fuel? If a
patrol
>has been seizing unauthorised items and has returned to base, English "the
>patrolman burns" looks more like (A) "the patrolman is on fire" than (B)
"the
>patrolman is burning stuff, no need to say what or I don't know what", and
>mean (B) I must put a dummy place-holder object in: "the patrolman is
burning
>stuff".

We have four of them that we know of at the moment.  Probably some more.

mev

not mev peghmey.  (PK)
bIjatlh 'e' yImev!  [and numerous others with a different first verb] (PK)

tagh

taghbej mu'qaD veS.  (PK)
Qu' DataghDI' 'aqtu' mellota' je tIqaw.  (TKW)

choH

HIv He yIchoHmoH!  (ST5, I think... I've never seen it, unfortunately.)
ghopDu' choHpu' Qe'.  (KGT.  This was set as an example of translating
idioms directly, but there was no indication that it was ungrammatical.)

meQ

meQtaHbogh juHDaq Suv qoH neH.  (TKW... I'm working from memory, it might
be different from what I put down, but it definitely had meQtaHbogh in it.)
Ha'DIbaH meQ [translated as "burnt animals"] (CK)
to'waQ meQ vutwI' (KGT)

I think these are all we know about.
Qapla'
qoror