tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 15 07:51:50 1997

Re: Words from 'Kahless'

At 10:09 97-11-11 -0800, m109 wrote:
> mIn'Hor         minn'hor  Large cow-like beast used for food and milk
  Qov <[email protected]> replied:-
> The stop between two other consonants makes no sense, unless the first
> consonant is a y or w.

  I would `Okrandize' this word as {mInnIHor} or similar. Sometimes apostrophe
in Paramount alien names seems to represent not a glottal stop but a short
weak vowel like Hebrew "vocal sh'wa". Compare the `Kahless' book's spelling
"p'tahk" for {petaQ}.
  The minn'hor was also used under the yoke for hauling.

> SItaraH         S'tarakh  Large beast used as transport
> This one is also called a sark, verified in canon as {Sargh}.

I remember this word as {s'tarahk}. By analogy with p'tahk / {petaQ} I would
`Okrandize' this word as {SItaraQ}.

Back to archive top level