tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 15 10:25:30 1997

Re: Words from 'Kahless'

ghItlh Anthony.Appleyard:

>I would `Okrandize' this word as {mInnIHor} or similar. Sometimes
>apostrophe in Paramount alien names seems to represent not a glottal stop
>but a short weak vowel like Hebrew "vocal sh'wa". Compare the `Kahless'
>book's spelling "p'tahk" for {petaQ}.

Many Paramount words use an apostrophe in the middle such as jat'yIn,
clearly built from <jat> and <yIn> (it refers to ghosts - poetic, I think!),
and chech'tluth, from <chech> and <tlhutlh>. These apostrophes simply
separate words in a compound.

In "p'tahk", the apostrophe doesn't word that way, and we put a null vowel
in there. But "minn'hor" is probably pronounced mInHor, IMHO.

However, let it be remembered that these are non-canon as far as
tlhIngan-Hol usage is concerned, and therefore, spell it any ole way you
like.

Qermaq

Back to archive top level