tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 15 03:48:16 1997

Re: Letters (again)

At 10:15 97-11-12 -0800, you wrote:
}>  >How do you pronounce the ' and thank you for all your help
}>
}>  {'} is pronounced exactly like {p}, but at the other end of the mouth. :-)
}>  It sounds like a quiet cough.
}>
}>  It's an unvoiced glottal "stop", which means that a) the vocal cords don't
}>  vibrate while saying it; b) it is made very far back in the throat, even
}>  farther back than {q}; and c) the flow of air is cut off completely for a
}>  moment then released with a sort of "puff".
}>
}>  -- ghunchu'wI'
}
}
}In the beginning while practicing Klingon pronunciation I always thought of a
}letter which I didn't pronounce.
}say my name as if there were a "q" at the end but don't pronounce it :-)
}(I notice this sounds confusing, but it helped me!)
}muHwI' = *muHwIq* without the last letter (the last sound!). It's like when
}you want to say a word and then you just STOP saying it. say "look" and stop
}really short before the "k" sound. It will sound like {lu'}. If this is too
}confusing for anyone, forget it. I do it this way and it works!

That's quite good.  I often descibe the -wI' suffix as like saying the word
"wig" but cutting off gust before you say the g.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level