tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 15 03:48:09 1997

Re: -vaD suffix with je

At 20:30 97-11-08 -0800, Dawut wrote:

}I understand the use of the conjunction <je> "and".
}
}qeng qolotlh je vIlegh.  "I see Kang and Koloth"
}jaghpu'chaj HoH qeng qolotlh je.  "Kang and Koloth kill their enemies."
}
}Here is my question regarding -vaD, in the form of an example:
}
}qengvaD qolotlhvaD je jabbI'IDmey vIngeHta'
}"I sent data transmissions for Kang and Koloth"
}
}qar'a'?  Is this sentence correct?  Put the -vaD suffix on both nouns,
}right?

Try these tests:

1. Does it follow the rules we know about tlhIngan Hol?
2. Can it be comfortably parsed?
3. Is it in agreement with canon examples?

The answers are yes, yes and no such canon.

Definitely put the {-vaD} on both nouns.  Some people might leave out the
(je}, especially with {-Daq} instead of {-vaD}.  {bIQ'a'Daq DISDaq So'
Ha'DIbaH} or {bIQ'a'Daq DISDaq je So' Ha'DIbaH} "The animal hid in a cave in
the ocean"?

mu'tlheghlIj vIlajbej jIH, 'ach mujbe' 'e' vIlay'laHbe'.

}tlhIngan Hol jughojmoHmo' qatlho' Qov.

chotungHa'mo' SoH qatlho'.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian