tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 15 03:48:03 1997

Re: KLBC:torgh

At 08:05 97-11-02 -0800, qa'SuvwI' wrote:

}Qay' torgh  torgh explodes(blows his top)
maj.

}<SamuS.taQIv>jatlh   <I hate you all.You are inferior to me>he says

There is no prefix {ta-} and {QIv} isn't "be inferior to" it's just "be
inferior."  Try either just: {SuQIv} "you are inferior" or {jIH nIv law'
tlhIH nIv puS}.  A more specific verb might be better here.

}<SaHoH>lay'   <I will kill you all>he promises

This touches on the question "what is a verb of saying?" In English we use
any verb we please to introduce a quotation.  We aren't so sure this is
allowed in Klingon.  It might be fine.  You might need to say, {SaHoH 'e' lay'}.

}tajDaj lel 'ej tIqchajDaq     He takes out his dagger and stabs them in
}their hearts

A pronoun or two might be useful here, and you missed out the verb {DuQ} or
my editor lost it.  This could say "They take out his daggers..."

}Heghpu' chaH  They are all dead
}Hagh torgh    torgh laughs

maj.

}<ghunghach yIchu'Ha'>   <Disengage program>

Avoid putting -ghach directly on any verb.  The real function of ghach is to
make a noun out of a fancy verbal concept, like Suchqa'ghach - the act of
visiting again, than for a thing we just don't happen to have a noun for.  I
would just say {De'wI', yIchu'Ha'}

}HeQ De'wI'    The computer complys
maj

}QeH jaH torgh    torgh goes mad

Careful "goes mad" is an idiom in English.  It means "becomes crazy."  To
get this meaning in tlhIngan Hol say {maw'choH torgh}  On the other hand,
{QeHchoH torgh} is "gets mad."  One meaning that he ends up angry, the other
crazy.  I'm not positive wich meaning you meant: the one you said in English
ot the one your tlhIngan Hol is closest to.  Probably {maw'choH}

}De'wI' DuQ     He stabs the computer
maj.

}mIQ QoghIjDaj   His brain frys

Heh.  This suggests that his brain is standing over a vat of hot oil,
waiting for its onion rings to crisp up.  {QoghIjDaj mIQlu'} "his brain gets
fried"  ([something] fries his brain).

}Heghpu' torgh  torgh is dead

maj.

You understand Klingon syntax quite well, you just need to think carefully
about when the words you are translating mean literally hat they say, and
when they are an expression that must be translated another way.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level