tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 13 07:17:36 1997

RE: 3 loads of garbage...

  An administrivium: On tlhIngan-Hol email list, how much required / advised
is it for each member to choose a Klingon pseudonym?

ghItlh Anthony Appleyard:
> Without making two sentences of it, is there any way agreed yet of saying
> e.g. "I had to take 3 loads of garbage out of the ship in which you fled."?

  It seems that "the ship in which I fled" is on patrol again. In:-
  {biHaw'pu' Duj'e' Dalo': ['oHvo'|Dujvetlhvo'] wejlogh veQ muqwI''e' qengbogh
DujHomwIj vIteqnISpu'}
  [----|----] indicates alternatives.
  Is the first -'e' OK? It is to show which word is the referent of the {'oH}
or {-vetlh} in the next clause.
  As "a load of X" or "an X-ful" is often said, to shorten the second clause:-
  {biHaw'pu' Duj'e' Dalo': 'oHvo' wejlogh veQ muqwI' qeng vIteqnISpu'}
  But are these features valid?:-
  - {DujHomwIj} omitted, as it is clear at the time that the `loads' meant the
complainant's servicing craft's carrying capacity? I don't care for {X tebwI'}
for "X-ful", as that sounds like it means "the man who loads the X".
  - verb {qeng} used adjectivally like {tIn} etc can be used, since here it is
used as intransitive since I have omitted its object.
  But we seem to need a word for "a load", "carrying capacity".

Back to archive top level