tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 11 14:39:40 1997

Re: tlhoghtay

-----Original Message-----
From: QalI' ma epetaI Sla'neS <[email protected]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email protected]>
Date: Tuesday, November 11, 1997 9:54 AM
Subject: tlhoghtay

>As one of the founders of a local fan organization, it has fallen to me
>to be the group's linguist.  For some time now I have been a silent
>participant on the thlIngan Hol e-mail list.  I only wish I had more
>time to be involved, but here I go.
>Last year for ValleyCon, our local sci-fi, fantasy convention, my group
>performed the tlhoghtay and the nentay.  Seeing as we had an hour to
>fill, the tlhogtay from House of Quark, DS9, could only be used as a
>basis for our presentation.

The ceremony in :House of Quark" was not a {tlhoghtay'} at all, it was the
{bIreqtal}.  The {bIreqtal} (or Brek'tal) is a specialized ceremony that
only applies in certain situations.  Specifically, it is only when a woman
takes her husband's killer as her mate.

However, the {tlhoghtay'} WILL be seen in this week's Deep Space Nine, which
features the marriage of Worf and Dax.  Get your VCR ready!

>The first of my questions has to do with the fact that I still have not
>been able to satisfactorily translate the vows from that episode.  Is
>there anyone who has?

The reason for your difficulty lay in the fact that there is no translation
for the lines from "House of Quark."  You see, Paramount writers have a
nasty habit of not actually using Klingon in their scripts, or at least not
{tlhIngan Hol}.  Rather, they use what I and many others have come to call
"Paramount Hol;" namely, a Klingon-esque language that sounds harsh and
guttaral and is really a bunch of gibberish.

If you want to know what's in the script, it is as follows:

Groom: Go'Eveh... lu cha wabeh... To va re'Luk.
Bride: Go'Eveh... lu cha wabeh... Mo ka re'Chos.
Witness: Ghos ma'lu Kah.

-mIqIraH

Back to archive top level