tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 04 20:29:34 1997

Re: bIchuSchoHqu''a'

On Tue, 4 Nov 1997, Alan Anderson wrote:

> Joel Peter Anderson <[email protected]> signs:
> >    *** QI'tu' Holmey ghot Holmey je vIlo'chugh, ***
> >    *** 'ach parmaq  vIghajbe', vaj jIchuSchoHqu'***
>
> "If I use Paradise's languages and people's languages; however, I
> don't have romantic/aggressive love; so I *start* to be noisy."
>
> nuqjatlh?
>
> voghvo' qech Datlhaplaw'pu', 'ach mu'mey Damughlaw'pu'bogh vIghovbe'.
> mu'mey DaghItlhpu'bogh vIyajbe' je.  pabHa'law'mo' 'o'ghItlhvam,
> muSuj.  chaq lulegh latlh law'.  vIyajbe'mo jIH, rejmorgh jIH.
>
> This sounds like it's intended to be a quote from somewhere, but I
> don't recognize it, and I don't understand it.  It doesn't quite make
> grammatical sense, and because it's a signature, that fact bothers me.
> Do you use this signature in other contexts, Joel?  If so, I'd feel
> much better if I could comprehend it...

1 Corinthians 13:1

 If I speak with the languages of men and of angels, but don't have love,
 I have become sounding brass, or a clanging cymbal.

'ach:Conjunction
	 but, nevertheless, even so, however
         ^^^

This perhaps should be (and now is):

QI'tu' Holmey ghot Holmey je vIlo'chugh, 'ach parmaq vIghajbe'chugh, vaj
jIchuSchoHqu'

I intended "If I speak the languages of people and paradise, but I don't
have love, then I become noisy"

---

It serves, at least to me, to remind me not to worry about this stuff.
(rejmorgh SoHchoHchugh, vaj yInlIj ghur'a'?)  Love matters far more.  And
yes, par'mach is probably the wrong word for the agape' stuff Paul was
writing about, but we don't have a good contender for that yet, anyway.

** joel anderson * [email protected] * http://umn.edu/~joela **
    *** QI'tu' Holmey ghot Holmey je vIlo'chugh, ***
 *** 'ach parmaq  vIghajbe'chugh, vaj jIchuSchoHqu' ***
  *** [email protected]   ****  [email protected] ***

Back to archive top level