tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 04 18:13:48 1997

Re: bIchuSchoHqu''a'

At 01:36 PM 11/4/97 -0800, ghunchu'wI' wrote:
>Joel Peter Anderson <[email protected]> signs:
>>    *** QI'tu' Holmey ghot Holmey je vIlo'chugh, ***
>>    *** 'ach parmaq  vIghajbe', vaj jIchuSchoHqu'***
>
>"If I use Paradise's languages and people's languages; however, I
>don't have romantic/aggressive love; so I *start* to be noisy."
>
>nuqjatlh?
>
>voghvo' qech Datlhaplaw'pu', 'ach mu'mey Damughlaw'pu'bogh vIghovbe'.
>mu'mey DaghItlhpu'bogh vIyajbe' je.  pabHa'law'mo' 'o'ghItlhvam,
>muSuj.  chaq lulegh latlh law'.  vIyajbe'mo jIH, rejmorgh jIH.
>
>This sounds like it's intended to be a quote from somewhere, but I
>don't recognize it, and I don't understand it.  It doesn't quite make
>grammatical sense, and because it's a signature, that fact bothers me.
>Do you use this signature in other contexts, Joel?  If so, I'd feel
>much better if I could comprehend it...

It's a quote from one of the New Testament letters of St. Paul. Actually,
the grammar looks correct to me. "If I speak with the language of men or
of Heaven but I have not love, then I am like a sounding cymbel" (or
something like that). I might quibble about some of the vocabulary.
{parmaq} is, as you note, romantic love, not the disinterested love
represented by the Greek AGAPE.  There is no direct Klingon term for this;
maybe something like *quvmoHtaHghach would be closer.  Also, the last verb is
not quite right.  Now that we have KGT, maybe we could use something like
{chuSbogh baS 'In vIDa} 'I act like a noisy bell'.

-- ter'eS

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/2711

Back to archive top level