tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 04 18:48:19 1997

{-lI'}

        qoror here.  I would like to offer an opinion.  I've noticed that
often when there's a KLBC message with {-lI'} on a verb with something
inanimate as the subject.  Usually the Grammarian replies something like
"Does this [thing] really have free will and intentions of its own?"  I
offer that it is *not* necessarily the subject be the vay' with the
"definite end in mind."  (That's not from TKD, it's just firmly implanted
in my mind.)  It says in TKD that it's the *activity* that has the definite
end in mind.  There is nothing in 4.2.7 that suggests or implies that it is
the *subject* that is intending.  TKD offers {chollI'} as an example and
suggests the subject might be a missile.  Carrying this a short step
farther, say something with {-lI'} is in a story and an inanimate object as
the subject.  It might  not necessarily be someone else in the story that's
doing the expecting, it could just be the reader.
        Opinions?
Qapla'

Back to archive top level