tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 03 23:03:53 1997

Re: plans

In a message dated 97-11-03 23:58:18 EST, charghwI' writes:

<< Can't you see that the thing you don't know is not the question,
 but the ANSWER to the question. That answer is a noun. It should
 have been stated as a head noun of a relative clause, but it
 wasn't. Instead, it is packed into this invalid grammatical
 misconstruction. PLEASE STOP DOING THIS! It is noise in the
 cosmos! It disrupts the beautiful harmonies of our language!

This is precisely the beauty of the argument of the persons who maintain that
the entire Question is a Sentence to be considered the Sentence as Object.
 Klingon is different from English, and other languages.  According to TKD in
the section explaining Sentences as Objects, we see not only that Klingons
are linking two distinct sentences.  We have been considering the pronoun
{'e'} as the Object of the second sentence.  This is correct.  What charghwI'
is overlooking is that this one pronoun specifically refers to the entire
first sentence.  It does not matter to a Klingon speaker that the first
sentence is a statement or a question.

In conclusion, there is not actually a question of whether we are trying to
use English relative pronouns.  Klingon is different!!!  Klingons look at
this construction as two separate sentences.  The pronoun  {'e'} of the
second sentence does more than link the two sentences; it refers back to the
whole first sentence.

mISqu' charghwI'
'ach yajchoHlaH ghaH 'e' vItIv

peHruS