tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 03 21:22:29 1997

Re: Plans

Without reprinting the many excellent points he has made - that would take
too much space - I must concur with charghwI'.

The crucial point is this - the Sentence-As-Object construction uses the
whole sentence as object. "The Klingon is strong." <HoS tlhIngan> "I know
that the Klingon is strong." <HoS tlhIngan 'e' vISov>

The object of the second sentence, <'e'>, refers to the WHOLE previous
sentence. I don't know why the Klingon is strong, or when he is strong, or
even who the strong Klingon is, necessarily - I know that the Klingon is
strong.

The sentence used as an object must be a fact or concept which can be
weaseled into acting as a noun, which is represented by the pronoun <'e'>.
<'e' vISov> REALLY means "I know that" and "that" is a pronoun which
represents the noun phrase "the fact or concept expressed by the last thing
said".

A question is, by definition, not a statement of fact. It is a lack of fact.
It is missing information which the addressed party is expected to provide.
Therefore, <tlhIngan HoS 'Iv?> "Who's the strong Klingon?" is not a fact
which we can squeeze into the narrow definition of a noun, noun phrase or
pronoun - since all objects are nouns, noun phrases or pronouns, a question
CANNOT be an object.

It is my conviction that only statements which express a fact can be the
object in the construction in question. I will hold this till MO himself
proves me wrong.

Qermaq

Back to archive top level