tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 04 05:10:00 1997

Re: plans

ja' peHruS:
>...We have been considering the pronoun
>{'e'} as the Object of the second sentence.  This is correct.  What charghwI'
>is overlooking is that this one pronoun specifically refers to the entire
>first sentence.

No, charghwI' is basing his entire position on the fact that {'e'} indeed
refers to the entire first sentence!

>It does not matter to a Klingon speaker that the first
>sentence is a statement or a question.

This part of your argument I can accept.  I won't completely dismiss the
possibility of a question that makes sense as the object of another verb.

>In conclusion, there is not actually a question of whether we are trying to
>use English relative pronouns.  Klingon is different!!!  Klingons look at
>this construction as two separate sentences.  The pronoun  {'e'} of the
>second sentence does more than link the two sentences; it refers back to the
>whole first sentence.

However, in the broken non-grammar of a "question as object", {'e'} is
being misused to try to refer back to a single word of the first sentence.

>mISqu' charghwI'
>'ach yajchoHlaH ghaH 'e' vItIv

chaq mIS charghwI', 'ach qechvam'e' wIqeltaHvIS, Huv yabDaj 'e' vIHar.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level