tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 03 12:19:42 1997

Re: mu'ghom italiano vInej

In einer eMail vom 03.11.97 07:41:04 MEZ, schreiben Sie:

>  >This warrior is definitely excited about the release of a German
(*Doych*?)
>  >edition of the TKD in Switzerland!
>
>  As a matter of personal preference, I avoid trying to respell things this
>  way.  Transliteration of foreign terms into the phonetic system used for
>  tlhIngan Hol often serves merely to confuse, especially when it violates
>  the phonology as we know it.  But we *have* seen it done officially:
>  {janluq pIqarD HoD} "Captain Jean-Luc Picard".
'entepray'
romuluS
nImbuS wej
DenIb
...they're usually names of something

That's probably because Klingons had to use that name very often, so they
tried to write it down and did it like that. That's just like respelling
Russian or Asiatic names into English. Is it "Alexander" or "Aleksander" or
"Aleksandr"? Or look at MOCKBA --> "Mouscou" - "Moskwa" - "Moskow" -
"Moskau"...

I don't think Klingons will ever learn German, so I'd just write {*german*}
or {*german* Hol}. This list FAQ says we shouldn't do it. *'or wut yu' layq
'It 'Iv 'ay rayt 'InglIS layq DIS?* Nobody would be able to read it.

muHwI'
Stardate 97842.4
http://members.aol.com/Lieven

Back to archive top level