tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 02 19:06:41 1997

Re: mu'ghom italiano vInej

"James R. \"Gus\" Clifton" <[email protected]> writes:
>ghuStaH jIH.

"The monitor is being ready to launch (torpedoes)."
Huh?  I'm pretty sure that's not what you meant to say.

>This warrior is definitely excited about the release of a German (*Doych*?)
>edition of the TKD in Switzerland!

As a matter of personal preference, I avoid trying to respell things this
way.  Transliteration of foreign terms into the phonetic system used for
tlhIngan Hol often serves merely to confuse, especially when it violates
the phonology as we know it.  But we *have* seen it done officially:
{janluq pIqarD HoD} "Captain Jean-Luc Picard".

[Mark Mandel wrote an article for the most recent {HolQeD}, critiquing
the pronunciation guide in the German translation of TKD.  He concludes
that it has some problems -- and I'm probably being overly kind by saying
it this mildly.]

>After all, maHemtaH maSachnIS!

"We are being proud; we must expand!"  That's an interesting twist on the
line in The Klingon Way: {mataHmeH maSachnIS}.

>Nevertheless, though I have surfed the mighty Web and happily picked the
>brains of several human booksellers, I cannot tell whether any Italian-
>language edition exists or shall exist.
>
>Sovbej vay''a'?	Does anyone know for sure?

I don't have any knowledge of one.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level