tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 29 21:53:10 1997

thrusters, etc.

All of this talk about attitude and its adjustment got me to looking up the
words for thrusters and related vocabulary (along with their attestations
in canon, of course). For those interested, here is what I found:

It seems we have nouns for three different (?) types of thrusters:

chuyDaH  "thrusters" (pl.)
This seems to refer to a ship's main impulse power (Hong) thrusters
(whatever "impulse power" is!).
   - chuyDaH yIlaQ Fire the thrusters! TKD
   - chuyDaH Thrusters! (Clipped) TKD
   - chuyDaH Thrusters. ST3
Kruge said this to get some distance between him and the Merchantman before
blasting it with his disruptor canon, after which he set a new course for
the Federation Neutral Zone.
   - <chuyDaH yIchu'> Engage thrusters! ST6?
This is an fragment someone posted to the list allegedly spoken by Grokh
to the helmsman of Chang's prototype Bird of Prey, Dakronh. (I didn't hear
it myself the last time I watched the movie, but since Grokh's Klingon
pronunciation is the worst in the film I may have missed it.)

lolSeHcha  "attitude-control thrusters" (pl. only?)
   - unattested in canon.
qoror asked whether Okrand came up with this especially for ST6. I checked
and it appears in the *first* part of TKD (c1985), so it is from the
vocabulary he compiled while he was working on ST3. We should remember that
the Addendum (c1992) contains the new words from ST5, ST6 and TNG.

vIj  "thruster" (sg.)
   - unattested in canon

Some verbs to use with these nouns:

chu'  "engage, activate (a device)"
   - <chuyDaH yIchu'> Engage thrusters! ST6 (cf. supra)
chu'Ha'  "deactivate, disengage (a device)"

laQ  "fire, energize (e.g. thrusters)"
   - chuyDaH yIlaQ Fire the thrusters! TKD
*laQHa'  "misfire? de-energize/cease fire?"

And, finally, some related verbs:

vo'  "propel" (v.)
   - unattested in canon

ghoS  "thrust" (v.)
   - 'entepray' yIghoS Bear on Enterprise! ST5 (?)
   - nom yIghoSqu' Maximum speed. ST5
These two could just as easily be ghoS "approach, proceed, etc."

This last verb may be distinct from another type of "thrust":

DuQ  "stab" ("Verb, to strike at with a sharp object... refers to a
  thrusting motion made by a pointed weapon, usually a knife." MSN)
   - cheDuQchugh mareghbe''a'  Prick us, do we not bleed? TKW

-- Voragh

Back to archive top level