tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat May 31 17:27:07 1997

RE: thrusters, etc.

jatlh SuSvaj:

> qeqnIS taghwI'pu'!  wa'DIch mu'tlheghvam Damugh 'e' DanIDta', qalughmoH.
>
> As a beginner, you must practice!  Try and translate it yourself first.
> Then I'll correct you if necessary.

Er . . . perhaps you'd both better visit KLBC!  :)

{wa'DIch} always follows a noun.  It's an ordinal, and cannot be used to say
you do something before something (or everything) else.  For that, you use
{-pa'}.

qalughmoHpa' mu'tlheghvam Damugh 'e' yInID.
Before I correct you, try to translate this sentence.

Also, you placed {-ta'} on {nID}, the second verb of a Sentence As Object.
That's a no-no.  You must place it on the first verb, or not at all.  (Putting
{-ta'} on {mugh} wouldn't be so bad.  Remember, {-ta'} tells that something
has been completed, but doesn't say whether that something happened in the
past, present, or future.  There's no tense.  So, {Damughta'} could easily
mean "you will have translated it.")

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian