tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat May 31 17:27:08 1997

RE: KLBC: Words for assassin & blade

[email protected] on behalf of Jim LeMaster wrote:

> 1) I have read/seen discussion about a Warrior's Knife and also about an
>    an Assassin's Knife (or blade).
>    I went back to my TKD and found Daqtagh for "Warrior's Knife" and taj
>    for "knife".  Looking further, I did not find a single word listed
>    for "warrior" (could be a personal problem, I'm using my electronic
>    database TKD & could have missed typing it in.) From most things I've
>    seen tlhIngan means/is used for both "Klingon" and "Klingon Warrior".
>    Is that correct?
>    Would a word for warrior alone be ghobwI' <One who wages war>?

In the Addendum of TKD, we find the words {SuvwI'} and {vaj} for "warrior."
({vaj} came about as an Okrandian backfit on Star Trek V.)  {SuvwI'} was
constructable anyway, from {Suv} "fight."  Okrand has used {SuvwI'} for
"warrior" lots of times.

{ghobwI'} is an interesting word.  It certainly means "one who wages war," so
we're left with the question of why we don't see this word used as "warrior."
Perhaps {ghob} is less concerned with hand-to-hand combat (which would be
{Suv}) and refers to large-scale battle.  The two uses in TKW (pp. 61, 179)
seem to support this idea.  If this is true, then {ghobwI'} would mean someone
(or a side) who wages a large-scale battle or war.  Remember, this is just
speculation.

> 2) I have also seen discussion of an Assassin's Knife or an Assassin,
>    but find no entry for either "Assassin's Knife" or "Assassin."
>    Is there a specific word, or should it be translated something like:
>    batlhbe' HoHwI'  <one who kills dishonorably>

I see no reason to assume that Klingon assassins are viewed as having no
honor.  In fact, I seem to remember some source explaining that an assassin
(giving his target the chance to die honorably) is a respected figure in
Klingon culture.  (Anyone know where I'm remembering this from?)

>    voQibmey HoHwI'  <one who kills from the shadows>

This is not how the noun suffix {-vo'} (or any other suffix) works.  Suffixes
always go on the end of a word, not the beginning.  "From the shadows" would
be {QIbmeyvo'}.  And please remember to capitize every {I}!

>    voQibmey mupwI'  <one who strikes from the shadows>
>       -or-
>    QibghobwI'       <shadow warrior, i.e., ninja>
>    QibHoHwI'        <shadow killer>

I see no reason to assume that an assassin must rely on shadows.  TKW explains
that the {qutluch} conjures up images similar to Earth's "cloak and dagger";
it refers to intrigue and espionage.  Certainly, an assassin might use shadows
when appropriate, but not as a stereotypical means, like the ninja.

Besides, a "shadow killer" might refer to someone who kills shadows!

> 3) The Warrior's Knife has been referred to as an "Honor Blade" on DS9.
>    Is there a word for "blade"?

The word for blade is {'etlh}.  This word also refers to "sword."

The warrior's knife is the {Daqtagh}.  It has no translation that we know of.

> 4) On a couple of shows of ST:TNG a pair of statues of warriors on
>    Qo'noS were shown that were holding/carrying sword-like objects that
>    were not betlh.  There is a word 'etlh for sword. Is there a
>    discription of the non-betlh swords anywhere?

You mean {betleH}?  The general word {'etlh} would do.  We know of the
half-sized {betleh}, the "mek'leth" (correct Klingon pronunciation not yet
known).  There are a couple of knives {tajmey}.  You would do well to consult
Star Trek: Klingon's Language Lab in the Weapons category.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level