tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 28 19:49:47 1997

RE: KLBC: chu'wI'

[email protected] on behalf of Semen Levikov wrote:

> naDev jIchu'.

Welcome!

> tlhIngan Hol vIghoj

Usually, learning Klingon is a process which takes a lot of time, and there
really isn't a known goal in learning it (unless you've got an unusual
agenda).  In cases like this, it's best to add the aspect suffix {-taH} to the
verb.  This indicates that the action is ongoing, and not a single event.  TKD
gives a very clear example:

yIjun
Make an evasive maneuver!

yIjuntaH
Evasive action!

> 'ach QaQbe'bej lo'ghachwIj .

In HolQeD 3:3, in interview with Marc Okrand revealed that using {-ghach}
without another suffix between the verb and {-ghach} results in a highly
marked word, something which you want to avoid in almost all situations.
Besides, {lo'} is also a noun, shown to us in the Addendum of TKD.  There's no
need to say {lo'ghach} if you can just say {lo'} ("Just say {lo'}.")

Do you really want to say "My use is definitely not good"?  One of the things
you'll discover as you study Klingon is that sentences turn out much better
and much easier if they are based on verbs and not nouns.  Why say "my use is
not good," when you can say {jIpo'be'} "I am not skilled"?  Concentrate on
verbs, and half your troubles will disappear.

> 'eH ! *tlhIngan-Hol mailing list*Daq wa'Dich rI'ghach vIghItlhpu' .

For "mailing list," we sometimes use the word {jabbI'IDghom}.  It's not
something that Okrand has ever used, but "data transmission-group" seems
pretty obvious to me.

Again, you don't want to use {-ghach} without the intervening suffix after
{rI'}.  My rule of thumb is, if you use {-ghach} more than once in any message
to this list, you're probably overusing it.  Besides, you can use the word
{jabbI'ID} "data transmission."  That's *exactly* what e-mail is.

When you use ordinal numbers like {wa'DIch}, {cha'DIch}, etc., the number
always *follows* the noun it's numbering.  So, "my first data transmission"
would be {jabbI'IDwIj wa'DIch}.  The ordinal number never comes before the
noun.

> DaH jIQuchqu' ! :)

jumuvpu'mo' jIQuch je jIH.

> batlh
> vIQor (Filipp Levikov)

This is your name, I take it?  vIQor?

> P.S.: jIHvaD SughItlhchugh vaj tlhIngan Hol yIghItlhbe', jIQaQHa'mo' .

Try not to rely on the word "good" being {QaQ}.  That's soooo bland!  Be a
little more specific.  {jIpo'be'} "I am not skilled."  {jIyajchu'be'} "I do
not perfectly understand."  {QIt jImugh} "I translate slowly."  Just using
{QaQ} sounds like you're saying you're a good guy, and not a bad guy.

Also, when you give a command, like "Don't write Klingon," you don't use
{-be'} to negate.  See TKD p.47.  In imperatives, you always use {-Qo'}.

<jIpo'be'> juja', 'ach qaHarbe'.  tugh tlhIngan Hol Dajatlhchu'.  majQa'!

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level