tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 21 18:23:48 1997

Re: vIttlheghmey: was Dream Proverb

On Sat, 17 May 1997 21:34:11 -0700 (PDT)  SuSvaj
<[email protected]> wrote:

> As long as we are on the topic of made up proverbs, I always thought that
> the Addams Family Credo of "Sic Gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc", (We
> gladly feast on those who would subdue us.) cried out for Klingon.  My
> rendition would be:
>
> 			nuchargh 'e' neHbogh nuvpu' wISopqu'mo' mabel.
> SuSvaj

You don't want to use {'e'} as the object of {neH}. It is the
one verb that does not need it. You also forgot the often
forgotten {lu-} and {DI-}prefixes. My own version (which I think
I've slightly changed since the series I think ~mark directed
you towards) is:

nucharghta' luneHpu'bogh chaH DISopmo' maQuch.

Still, yours and mine are remarkably similar. As for the aspect
stuff, obviously at the time they were eaten, the process of
their wanting anything was complete, though not an
accomplishment. Meanwhile, what they wanted was to have
accomplished conquering us.

I think in my original translation, I used {-taH} instead of
{pu'}, but I've changed my mind, since I don't assume they
continue to want much as they are eaten.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level