tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 21 17:38:01 1997

RE: Klingon Anthem

jatlh Kat:

> hiya.  I am new to the list (Well I was here once before but the mail
> got to be too much so I left). I'm Kat :)

Hi!  I'm SuStel, the list's current Beginners' Grammarian.  I'm here to help
you out with beginner stuff.  If you've got a question or would like to just
chat in Klingon with others at a beginner's level, just put "KLBC" in the
beginning of the subject line.  I'll notice this and look over your message,
sending you comments on your use of Klingon.

Just in case you haven't looked yet, you should be aware of the following
pages:

The Klingon Language Institute
http://www.kli.org

this list's FAQ:
http://www.thomtech.com/~dspeers/klingon/faq.htm

> 1) Does anyone out there have the words to the Anthem written down
> and/or translated into English?  If not, have any idea where I would
> find them?

There has been much discussion of this recently.  Look on the KLI pages in the
mailing list's archives.

> 2)Could someone help me translate my signature below into Klingon?
>
> thanks.
> -Kat
> -2nd.Lt S'hai Katar tai-Dr'ule,1st Officer and
>   Chief Communications Officer of the
>    IKV Battlecat, Fleet Secretary,
>     Black Ice Fleet,
>      Eclipse Squadron, KAG/ATLANTIK of
>       KAG/International

Well, this is really a lot of nouns and names.  Most of it isn't really
"translatable."

"Communications officer" is {QumpIn}, "lieutenant" is {Sogh}, and "squadron"
is {nawlogh}.  The translation of "black ice fleet" depends on whether you
mean "(black ice) fleet" or "black (ice fleet)."  All of these words are in
TKD.

Other than that, there's not much you can do with names and titles.  Just say
'em.  It appears that Klingon ranks and titles go after the name.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level