tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 21 06:32:22 1997

Paramount

One of the things which has kept me busy lately is writing and talking
with lawyers.  The lawyers working in Paramount's (or should that be
Viacom's?) licensing office appear to be making a sweep again of anyone
and anything that may, potentially, in the broadest interpretation, be
in violation of the legally protected properties.  Despite our license,
this may include the KLI.

Let me say that while I understand the emotional zeal behind some of the
recent posts to this list, I believe they are exaggerated,
inappropriate, and have the potential to do more harm than good.  By way
of example let's look at the not too distant outcry about Paramount
sending letters to some websites.

Paramount has certain properties which they make a great deal of money
from.  To ensure that they can continue to do so, they are legally
obligated to follow up on unauthorized uses of their properties, or risk
losing the sole right to them.  That's the pragmatic and not
unreasonable rationale behind their "harrassment."

In the case of the websites, a few sites were offering Paramount owned
products (e.g., making available electronic copies of scripts which
Paramount sells), and so the big P quite rightly came down on these
folks.  These sites appear to have become martyrs for many other Trek
websites, and we were treated to an array of ridiculous posturings of
"they can't make ME shut down my site" and the like, from sites that
were never in danger of being shut down, never asked to shut down, and
probably never would be.

I'm not saying that Paramount's reputation as a bully is undeserved, but
just that in some instances it's not applicable.

In the current situation with Chet's book, you can see where they're
coming from.  They're arguing that the Klingon language is their
intellectual property and as such they have to protect it from
unauthorized usage.  From this point of view, SECRET FIGHTING ARTS OF
THE WARRIOR RACE is indeed unauthorized, and it's not uncommon in such
situations for the "injured" company to demand the destruction of the
offending product.  From their point of view they're losing money with
every sale of the unauthorized product.

Mind you, *I* don't think that the Klingon language, or any constructed
language, used to create original text can be claimed to be Paramount's
property (unless it was Paramount who created the original text), but
that's for the lawyers to decide.

Similarly, the KLI and Paramount's lawyers are in discussion over
different perceptions and interpretations of some of the particulars in
the license we enjoy.  My impression of dealing with lawyers is that
they come on strong, attempting to scare you off quickly, much like many
species do when they're playing dominance games.  It's a sound tactic,
and when it works you get what you want very quickly with little use of
your resources.  When your opposition holds firm you're free to move
onto another strategy.  I'm optimistic that we'll work out our
differences in a reasonable manner, and come to terms with Paramount;
terms which both sides can live with.

And I certainly hope that Chet's experiences follow a similar path.

Let me end this on an optimistic note.  The last time the KLI was
involved with Paramount with this kind of legal discussion was when they
issued us a C&D order, demanding that we change our name and shut down.
We responded with reasonable arguments and evidence to support our
claims and position.  When the dust settled we had a license.  My point
is, things *can* work out, just keep a cool head.

Lawrence

--
:: Dr Lawrence M Schoen, Director   :: The KLI is a nonprofit ::

Back to archive top level