tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 18 18:50:33 1997

RE: Ha' on adverbs

jatlh qoror:
> >10. What has Lady Di done now?  DaH nuq ta'pu' Day joH?

> This seems to support the notion of transliterating Klingon names, even
though
> it -is,- no doubt, confusing at times,

The policy of not transliterating names applies to this list only, because of
the ASCII nature of Internet e-mail, and because it prevents newbies from
searching in vain for words like "Day."  See the FAQ on this topic.

> as well as what I've always believed,
> that titles of rank and position should go after a proper name, such as
> "Qanqor
> HoD."

In Star Trek V, Vixis says {*tlha* HoD} as her very first Klingon line.

> By the way, it is Maltz who did this, but if it were me who needed to do it,
> I'd
> say "DaH chay' vangpu' Day joH?" "How has Lady Di acted now?"

Only those things that Okrand says comes from Maltz comes from Maltz.  For
example, when he wrote to me on the MSN bulletin board in Klingon, this was
Okrand talking, not Maltz.  Maltz is the native Klingon, not Okrand, and if
Okrand is just chatting in Klingon, we should be careful not to worship his
words too closely.  I, for one, do not take his use of {tIv'egh} for "they
enjoyed themselves" too seriously.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian