tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat May 17 20:40:30 1997

Re: Anthem interpretation

On Fri, 16 May 1997 10:09:16 -0700 (PDT)  Marc Paige
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I was watching the "Soldiers of the Empire" episode again last night and
> put the antem in a tight loop on the VCR. I listened with closed eyes to
> the fourth verse for about an hour. Could it be the following phrase:

Qu'lIjvaD bImatlhba'ta'.

> Say'mo' 'ach chu' may' 'Iw
> even though it is clean, battle blood is new
>
> The closed captioning is:
> Say moach chu may ew

I've noticed that the closed captions seem to use "ch" for {H},
and an English "Say" is a Klingon {Sey}, so I'd guess:

Sey'moHchu' may' 'Iw.

"The blood of battle perfectly excites them."

bIQochbe''a'?

> If MO did write this, maybe he slipped into Klingon mode every once in a
> while when putting down the words for the actors to say. In this case,
> "may" could be the Klingon word for "battle" and not just a phonetic
> spelling.

Yep. Otherwise, we have {mey}, which only works as a noun
suffix, which doesn't fit here.

> This follows the song to some extent as well:
>
> Qoy qeylIS puqloD
> Son of Kahless listen
>
> Qoy puqbe'pu'
> Daughters listen
>
> yoHbogh matlhbogh je SuvwI'
> Warriors brave and loyal
>
> Say'mo' 'ach chu' may' 'Iw
> even though it is clean, battle blood is new  (<-- very liberal translation
> here)

Compare with: Sey'moHchu' may' 'Iw
"The blood of battle perfectly excites them."

> maSuv manong 'ej maHoHchu'
> we fight, we are passionate, and we kill perfectly
>
> nI'be' yInmaj 'ach wovqu'
> our life is short but very bright (<-- interesting choice of verb here
> <wovqu'>)
>
> batlh maHeghbej 'ej yo' qIjDaq
> vavpu'ma' DImuvpa' reH maSuvtaH
> we certainly die with honor and before we join our fathers in the black
> fleet we will always continue to fight,
>
> Qu' mamevQo' maSuvtaH ma'ov
> we won't stop the mission, we keep fighting, we compete.

> SI'IluD
> wa'Hu' jIboghbe'

charghwI'

Back to archive top level