tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat May 17 19:10:31 1997

Re: Ha' on adverbs

On Sat, 17 May 1997, SuSvaj wrote:

|> [Voragh wrote:]
|> And ghaytanHa' "unlikely" used in ghaytanHa' jay' "Not bloody likely!"
|> in the Radio Times book.

|"Radio Times" paq?  nuq 'oH Dochvetlh'e'?

For those who missed it when this material was posted in this forum last
August:

                    MARC OKRAND INTERVIEW (Radio Times)

The premier British television magazine Radio Times, doing a special for
Star Trek's 30th Anniversary (August 1996), got Marc Okrand to translate a
few "Handy Klingon Phrases" for its readers. Here they are, reproduced
exactly as printed complete with pronunciation:

Hello  (literally "What do you want?")
  nuqneH
 (pronounced nook-NEKH)

Beam me up.
  Hijol
 (KHI-jol)

Live long and prosper
  yIn nI' yISIQ 'ej yIchep
 (yin nil ya-SHEEKH ledj ya-CHEP)

May your blood scream.
  'IwlIj jachjaj
 (euw-lidge jatch-jadge)

Where is the bathroom?
  nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'
 (nook-DAK och pooch-pa! eh?)

They have also published a special 168 page book. The most interesting bit
is a 4-page spread where Okrand is interviewed by Radio Times. It mentions
some interesting facts about the language's origin (based on influences
from American Indian, Chinese, and Southeast Asian languages) as taken
from James Doohan and Mark Lenard. Mention is made of the KLI, as well as
Glen Proechel's summer Language Camps, and of the various tlhIngan Hol products
available. There is even a discussion of klingonaase, which Okrand likes!
(He says that it's good to see that people are realising that in an
"Empire", there would be more than *one* language form.) As an added
bonus, Radio Times got Okrand to translate a few "British" phrases for readers!
Here they are reproduced as "English" phrases, Klingon translations, and
literal English back-translations:

 1. We are U.K. Klingons!   wo' tay' tlhInganpu' maH!
    (We are together Empire Klingons!)

 2. Come along then.        Ha'.
    (Let's go.)

 3. Give us a kiss, love.   HIchop, bang.
    (Bite me, love.)

 4. Spot of tea?            Dargh DaneH'a'?
    (Do you want tea?)

 5. Beam me up, mate        HIjol, jup.
    (Beam me up, friend.)

 6. Not bloody likely!      ghaytanHa' jay'!
    (Not &*@%# likely!)

 7. Be quick about it.      tugh.
    (Hurry up.)

 8. Cricket, please.        DaH ghew yIQuj.
    (Play bug now.)
    [Klingon has no word for cricket the game; ghew can mean "bug",
    "cootie" or "insect".

 9. Let's go to the pub.        tach vI'el, HItlhej.
    (I am going into the bar. Accompany me!)

10. What has Lady Di done now?  DaH nuq ta'pu' Day joH?
    (What has Lord/Lady Di accomplished now?)
    [The title joH, meaning "Lord", is also used for a woman, i.e.
    "Lady".]

-- Voragh
   Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level