tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 16 10:07:20 1997

Re: Dream Proverb

qoror wrote:

|might have been 3) sprawling to the floor.  I was excited and I was trying to
|think of some appropriate Klingon proverb to shout out.  I got beaten, though,
|but I formulated a proverb in my head that at the time I had thought was in TKW.
|It is:  "not Hegh tIq."  I probably made it up from PK, "not mev peghmey."

majQa'!  mubelmoHqu'.  I would suggest amending it slightly to: not Hegh
tlhIngan tIq ("A Klingon's heart never dies" or, better, "The Klingon heart
never dies").

To Klingons, "the heart stands for one's spirit or principles" (TKW p. 23),
and not for romantic love as it does to many humans. This is reflected in a
couple of sayings:

	tIqDaq HoSna' tu'lu'
	Real power is in the heart. (TKW)

	tIqlIj Da'angnIS
	You must show your heart. (PK)

This last is, of course, a reminder of one of the traditional phrases
recited by the lopwI' during the nentay as s/he passes through the
painstik-wielding line of Klingon warriors (symbolically traversing the
"River of Blood," or 'Iw bIQtIq):

	tIqwIj Sa'angnIS
	I must show you my heart. ("The Icarus Factor" & TKW: 203)

And we shouldn't forget the evocative title of the first Klingon-centered
episode on TNG: "Heart of Glory."

-- Voragh

Back to archive top level