tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 07 05:37:32 1997

RE: yIHmey

ghItlh SuStel
>> I agree; it seems intuitive to my English mind, but I don't want to assume
>> it makes sense to a Klingon mind. If <Qu'vaD lI' De'vam> makes sense,
>> does <Qu'vaD lI'be' De'vam> also?
>
>I don't see why not.  "Beneficiary" does not mean that something good happens
>to it.  "This information is not useful."  The mission is then said to be the
>beneficiary of this non-usefulness.  The mission is what "gets" the
>non-usefulness of the data.

If I might throw myself into the fray... I'll quote TKD, if someone hasn't
already.

3.3.5:  "This suffix indicates that the noun to which it is attatched is in some
way the beneficiary of the actions, the person or thing for                whom
or for which the activity occurs.  [example]  The noun {Qu'vaD} means "for the
mission," and in this sentence {-vaD}              indicates that the
information is intended to be used somehow for the mission under discussion."

And just to be safe, I'll quote the dictionary meaning of the controversial word
"beneficiary."

1.	One that receives a benefit: I am the beneficiary of your generosity.
2.	The recipient of funds, property, or other benefits, as from an insurance
policy or will.
3.	Ecclesiastical. The holder of a benefice.
[Medieval Latin beneficiarius, holder of a feudal benefice, from Latin, soldier
granted privileges, from beneficium, benefit.

Qapla'
qoror

Back to archive top level