tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 06 07:18:42 1997

Re: yIHmey

jIHvaD jang peHruS:
>> Okrand describes <-vaD> as 'for, intended for' and i've seen that as a
>> limiting the use to the 'intended for'.
>
>mu'tlhegh {yaSvaD taj nobpu' qama'} ngaS tlhIngan Hol mu'ghom 'ej "The
>prisoner gave the knive <<to>> the officer" 'oS 'oH
>
>mu'tlhegh {chaHvaD Soj qem yaS} ngaS je TKD 'ej "The officer brings them
>food" 'oS. nIb "The officer brings food <<to>> them" qar'a'.

Using <-vaD> in a sentence which has an object isn't what I'm questioning.
Both of those examples are quite clear and, in the past, I've tried to
limit my usage of <-vaD> to those kind of sentences. But since we have
canon <Qu'vaD lI' De'vam> which I hadn't noticed I've had to expand my
usage some.

- SachtaHbogh DaQtIq ;)

Back to archive top level