tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 06 21:29:35 1997

Re: qI' (was: vaj KLBC)

> > >We know from TKD that {qI'} means "sign (a treaty)."  How do we know
we can
> > >use it for "sign (a book)?"  Please tell me your source.
> >
> > My oppinion, for what it's worth...I believe putting "(a treaty)" in
the
> > definition was just to clarify that it is the act of putting your name
down,
> > as opposed to meaning something like a hand signal type of signing.
> >

> > DloraH
>
> And my opinion, for what it is worth, is that it means the act
> of signing a treaty or some other contract or promise. Signing a
> book would seem very different. When I sign a book:
>
> paq vIquvmoHmeH paqDaq pongwIj vIghItlh.
>
> It is less of a promise than a drawing.
>
> charghwI'

jIQochnIS.  There are other examples in TKD where objects are included
ostensibly to clarify meaning.  For example, "fire (v)" is followed by
(torpedo, rocket, missile).  I doubt that we are expected to limit our use
of *baH* to only these three objects.  Phasers, & disruptors, also apply.

SuSvaj

Back to archive top level