tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 06 16:33:49 1997

RE: KLBC: Aaargh!

[email protected] on behalf of Diego 'Mago' De Miguel wrote:
> muSengqu' jabbI'IDghomvam jay'!!!

{muSeng} might be all right, if you use "indirect object shortening," though I
wouldn't use it myself.  Usually, this shortening occurs when you've got some
other noun acting as the direct object.  In this case, there is no direct
object.  I'd say {jIHvaD Sengqu' jabbI'IDghomvam jay'}.  Yours is not
definitely wrong, but you're too closely following the English, I think.

> vagh Hu' qaSDI' mumuvHa'moH!
> (Five days ago it unsuscribed me!)
> [Lit: When five days ago occured it caused me to be "unjoined".]

You don't need {qaS} when making an explicit time reference.  Just state the
time.  {vaghHu' mumuvHa'moH}.

(Do we have canon on exactly how to use {muv}?)

> vImuvqa' 'e' vInIDtaH 'ach vInIDlaHbe'!
> (I'm trying to subscribe again but I can't!)

Remember, don't use a Type 7 verb suffix on the second verb of a
sentence-as-object construction!  {vImuvqa' 'e' vInID}.

Nothing is preventing you from *trying* to rejoin the list, so don't say
{vInIDlaHbe'}.  Say something like {vIta'laHbe'} "I cannot accomplish it."

If you're being highly redundant, you might say

vImuvqa' 'e' vInID 'ach vImuvqa' 'e' vIta'laHbe'.

> HIQaH!
> (Please help me!)
>
> Qapla' (vItul!)
> (Success! (I hope!))

"I hope" is not a sentence by itself, but a little interjection you can stick
into English sentences.  It doesn't quite work in Klingon, because the grammar
is different.  Actually, it doesn't seem a very Klingon thing to say at all.
A Klingon would not say "Success! (I hope!)"  He would say "Success!"

> P.S.
> chojangmeH yIlo' jabbI'ID ngoqwIj
> (Please use my personal email address when answering this)
> [Lit: For you to answer me use my email code]

{ngoq} is an interesting way to talk about cyberspace addresses.  I wouldn't
understand it right away, but we don't have a good alternative.  Sometimes I
think of {Quv}, but this is dependent on the idea of the Internet being an
extra-spatial, physical location.

You've got the object in the wrong place.  Also, if you're talking to all of
us on the list, you need to use the correct prefix on {jang}.

tujangmeH jabbI'ID ngoqwIj yIlo'.

> [BTW, excuse me if this is too abusive (I mean, asking you to post me
> individually), but so far I can't read mails posted to the list!
> Aw, I hope I find a solution soon!]

You didn't respond to the e-mail probe, did you?  Responding to it took you
off the list.  Not answering meant you were kept on.  If you responded to it,
you'll have to resubscribe.  Any other problems should be referred to d'Armond
Speers (Holtej) at [email protected].  Holtej was not reading much of the
list the last time I checked, because of the load, so you'll have to contact
him personally.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian