tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 05 10:43:21 1997

Re: 'ejyo' 'ampaS vIta'ta'?

ghItlh Marian Schwartz <[email protected]>:

<<<<<

Message text written by "Eric Zay"
>"I am a starfleet academy graduate.  I know many things."
>SuSvaj

How's this?:

"'ejyo' 'ampaSDaq jIHaDta'."

<<<<<

That means only 'I have studied (intentionally) at Starfleet Academy.' It
doesn't say or imply graduation. It could be used by someone who is
partway through the course of studies, or even someone who has left
(voluntarily or in-) before graduation.

Let's try
        'ejyo' 'ampaSDaq jIHaDchu'ta'
<-chu'> is glossed 'clearly, perfectly', but we see in canon that this can
include completion:
        yItlhutlhchu'!          Drink up! [I.e., drink it all]

     marqem, tlhIngan veQbeq la'Hom -- Heghbej ghIHmoHwI'pu'!
Subcmdr. Markemm, Klingon Sanitation Corps -- Death to Litterbugs!
**              Mark A. Mandel : [email protected]             **
    Dragon Systems, Inc. : speech recognition : +1 617 965-5200
 320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02160, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com/
          Personal home page: http://world.std.com/~mam/

Back to archive top level