tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 05 10:17:53 1997

Re: conjunctions

: >qoror here.  I was wondering this:  is there any canon for the wide
: >practice of -beginning- a sentence with a conjuction?
:
: Sure.  p.61 "jISoptaH 'ej QongtaH."  "'ej" comes at the beginning of the
: sentence "QontaH."  Or if you like, at the end of "jISoptaH".  Or between
: the two.  Remember, the only difference between "jISoptaH 'ej jIQontaH" and
: things like you're talking about (I think) is the period, punctuation which
: is not known to be part of Klingon usage.  We punctuate sentences to make
: them easier for us.
:
: That what you mean?
:
: ~mark

Similarly with 'ach:

 - jISoptaH 'ach QongtaH
   I am eating, but he is sleeping. TKD

... pagh:

 - bISoptaH pagh bItlhutlhtaH
   You are either eating or else you are drinking. TKD

... and qoj:

 - bISoptaH qoj bItlhutlhtaH
   You are eating and/or you are drinking. TKD

If, on the other hand, you meant utterances where the very first word spoken
is a conjunction, look at:

 - 'ach HoD, Hevetlh wIghoSchugh veH tIn wI'el maH'e'
   But Captain, that course will take us into the [Great] Barrier as well.  ST5

 - maj. 'ej... Good. [And...?]  ST5

-- Voragh

Back to archive top level