tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 01 12:04:02 1997

Re: The Klingon Anthem! At last!

While I REALLY hate this kind of thing, these are the words I
see:

[wince]

> Koi keh less pook load

Qoy qeylIS puqloD

Kahless's son listens.

[Maybe they mean {yIQoy, qeylIS puqloDpu'} and it is supposed
to be, "Listen, sons of Kahless!"

> Koi pook beh poo

Qoy puqbe'pu'.

Daughters listen. [or maybe "Listen, daughters!"]

> Yoch bow math bow je shuv wee

yach bomatlh ? je SuvwI'[?]

yaH ? maH boje' SuvwI'[?]

The soldier also something or other...
[I know I don't have this one down.]

> Say moach chu may ew

Samochchu' mayu'

I perfectly superior you(?) we ask.

or:

SaymoHchu' may' 'u'

The battle's universe perfectly cleans it. [I don't know. YOU
try and figure this out!]

> Mah shoov mah nong ej ma choch chew

maSuv, manong 'ej maHoHchu'

We fight, we are passionate and we perfectly kill.

> Nee beh yin mahj ach wov, coo!

nI'be' yInmaj 'ach wovqu'

Our lives are short, but they shine a lot. [they are very
bright?]

> Bath ma cheth bejj ej yo keej dahk

batlh maHeghbej 'ej yo' qIjDaq

We definitely die honorably and in the Black Fleet...

> Vav poo ma dee muv pa rech ma shoov tach

vavpu'ma' DImuvpa' reH maSuvtaH

Before we join our fathers [in the Black Fleet], always we are
fighting.

> Koo ma mev ko ma shoov tach, ma ov

Qu' mamevQo' maSuvtaH, ma'ov

[They messed up the prefixes here and the grammar is weak,
but...]
We refuse to stop the mission, we continue to fight, we
complete the mission.

> Can anybody try and make any sense out of any of that?  Even if it is
> bad grammar (probably), can anybody at least form some real words out of
> these pronunciation guides?  Makes me wonder if Okrand really had a hand
> in writing this for KCD like it is claimed...

Well, a lot of it actually makes too much sense for anybody at
Paramount to have had anything to do with it at all. Then
again, if Okrand wrote it, then transcribed it into something
untrained actors could recite without understanding the
phonemes, it could REALLY get garbled. I mean, how could you
write down something that your mother could pronounce as {Hegh}?

Okrand may very well have written it and the actors may have
been handed the writing without Okrand getting a chance to
coach them at all.

At any rate, it is dilluted enough that we may never figure out
Okrand's original intent from this pale shadow of thin gruel of
canon.

> -McReynolds

charghwI'

Back to archive top level