tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 31 12:27:33 1997

Re: KLBC: lIy Hale-Bopp

>Date: Sun, 30 Mar 1997 11:14:35 -0800 (PST)
>From: "David Trimboli" <[email protected]>
>
>jatlh qoror:
>
>> Still, if we decide to use verbs that are actions as TKD but we have
>resolved
>> that they're states, wouldn't that lead to confusion over what verb is the
>main
>> clause and what verb is just describing the noun?  --qoror
>
>Yes and no.  Yes, because suddenly seeing {Qong} after a noun would be weird,
>but no, because once you've gotten used to reading Klingon, you get a good
>feel for the grammar and can read it smoothly.  Then, you will see how someone
>is trying to use this word.

Also no more so than it already is.  What about {lI' paq tIn}?  We have two
verbs there, and both describe qualities, but one is the main verb and one
modifies a noun.  Context and sentence structure disambiguate.  In more
complex sentences it may be less obvious.  The "confusion" qoror is seeing
is a result of having verbs and "adjectives" be the same part of speech,
and that's simply how Klingon is.

~mark

Back to archive top level