tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 25 10:21:54 1997

Re: {H}mo' bangwI' vInaD...

: >From: Alan Anderson <[email protected]>:
: >ja' Iwvan:
: >>SopwI' je'lu' net Sovbej.  (`feeding the spirit' qel _tKW_.)  'ach
: >>SopwI'vaD Soj je'be'lu' je net chay' Sov?  DIvI' Hol lo'lu'taHvIS,
: >>
: >>  `feed him (with it)'
: >>  `feed it (to him)'
: >>
: >>je jatlhlu'.  nISchuqbe'.
: >
: >ja' TKD: "feed (someone else)".  QIjchu'.
: >nIbbe'ba' mu'vam, DIvI' Hol "feed" je.
:
: jIQoch'a'?  jISovchu'be'.
:
: Klingon does seem to allow a certain blurring of direct and indirect
: objects, e.g. "ro'qegh'Iwchab HInob" for "jIHvaD ro'qegh'Iwchab yInob".
: "je'" looks an awful lot like "SopmoH" to me.  Just as I'd say "ghaH
: vISopmoH" I'd say "ghaH vIje'" for "I feed her" (i.e. give her food to
: eat).  But it runs into that ditransitive problem again: how do you handle
: both the food and the eater?  "ghaHvaD qagh vIje'" sounds pretty good to
: me: the feeding is done for her benefit, the qagh are being fed to her,
: etc.  (it also is not too far from the other meaning of "I bought qagh for
: her", but don't let that confuse you.)
:
: ~mark

To add fuel to the fire, don't forget about the definitions Okrand is
supplying to MSN for the featured word-of-the-day.

je'  feed
"Verb, to consume a substance, or to supply someone with nourishment." (MSN
definition)

And here are the only two uses of je' "feed" in canon:
 - yIje' Feed him! (a crewman is being ordered to feed Kruge's pet) TKD/ST3
 - qa' wIje'meH maSuv. We fight to enrich the spirit. TKW

-- Voragh

Back to archive top level